Advice and Assistance
Free advice is available to all clients. A duty officer is available to provide this immediately over the phone, Monday - Friday from 9.30am - 12.pm and 1pm - 4pm.
Our duty officers undergo regular training to ensure they are fully informed about all other agencies that may be of help. If Care and Repair are unable to assist, referrals can be made to appropriate partner organisations within the city.
Home and Fire Safety Assessments
We can offer a Free Home Safety and Fire Safety assessments to our new and existing clients. This involves assessing your home for potential hazards and offering advice and assistance on the following:
- Fire Safety
- Trips & hazards
- Electrical Safety
- Safety and Security
If you are interested in having a free safety visit please call our office on 01224 251133 for further advice.
Where major adaptations or home improvements are required, Aberdeen Care and Repair can assist any resident in Aberdeen. We can act as your Technical Agent, to help with the planning, arranging and overseeing of the work.
- Visiting you at home to discuss required work
- Providing the necessary drawings, plans and technical specifications
- Obtaining quotations from contractors
- Liaising with contractors and third parties on the client's behalf
- Assisting with funding (where appropriate)
- Carrying out final inspections
- Offering a low-fixed interest loan
Small Repairs Scheme
Small repairs can be carried out by our own fully qualified handymen. Our small repairs scheme carry our work such as:
- electrical work
- gutter cleaning
- supply & fit interlinked smoke alarms to meet current legislation
- safety and security measures
- minor adaptations
- small indoor and outdoor tasks
This service is available to those over 60 or those registered disabled or living with a long-term health condition.
Current rates for this service are:
- standard rate - £30 per hour + VAT and mileage charge
- reduced rate for those on qualifying benefit - £20 per hour + VAT and mileage charge.
Please check with staff to see if which rate you will be charged.
Dementia & Mental Health Support Service
Aberdeen Care and Repair offer tailored support to people living with Dementia and/or mental health conditions. This personal service is free and confidential and can help anyone living in Aberdeen.
Our dedicated staff can assist by:
- Carrying out a home safety check
- Meeting with family and carers to discuss any adaptations which may be required
- Carrying out the repairs at a time convenient to the family
- Carrying out a benefit entitlement check
- Providing assistance with applying for any statutory benefits
- Making referrals to other agencies on the client's behalf if further support is required
Affordable Warmth Project
With an increasing number of homes in Scotland experiencing fuel poverty, the Affordable Warmth Project can assist any home owner-occupiers in Aberdeen suffering from fuel poverty, and people aged 60 and over and/or with disabilities or long-term health problems. We can help clients to ensure their homes are as energy efficient as possible by:
- Carrying out home visits to assess work required
- Arranging for work to be carried out by reputable contractors
- Identifying any locally- and nationally-available grants
- Offering a low-fixed interest loan
- Approaching charities for funding, if necessary
Aberdeen Care and Repair can also offer a one-off grant to improve home energy efficiency. This grant is provided through our Charitable Fund, and is available to eligible clients.
Full details of the fund can be found on the Charitable Fund page.
As well as offering referrals to other agencies, Aberdeen Care and Repair has a list of Trusted Traders. These are external contractors we recommend for work our tradesmen are unable to carry out.
For traders to be included on the list they must be approved by our management, and:
- Adhere to the Care and Repair Code of Conduct
- Submit annual copies of Public Liability Insurance and Accreditations
- Submit references from two different sources
- Submit details of hourly rates charged
We also conduct customer satisfaction questionnaires to ensure that contractors are carrying out work to a satisfactory standard.
Our Trusted Traders list can be viewed here.
NB. Every care has been taken in the compilation of the Trusted Traders list, and all traders have met the conditions of the Aberdeen Care and Repair Code of Conduct.
However, Care & Repair will not be held responsible for any loss, damage or inconvenience caused as a result of using these contractors.